Friday, May 8, 2009

New Print



This is my newest print. Two copper plates of profile cameos with left and right brain. I cut the plates with a jewler's saw to get the rounded edges. Above is the proof, to see how the design prints. I was influenced by few different things. First was a picture on the cover of the NYTimes magazine a couple weeks back.

Other influences come from the cut paper cameos of my brother and myself that my mom has hanging on her walls and from the Artistic Luxury show I recently saw at the Legion of Honor. They had some amazing jewelry as well as some pretty cool Art Nouveau prints.




The second step was to toproll the plate in a warm grey and chine collet paper under the ink. Toproll just gets ink on the surface of the plate leaving the etched lines blank. I used maps from our cross country journey for the left brain and children's history stories or Chinese rice paper for the right brain. I like that toprolling over such a detailed image gives my etching an ambiguous look from faraway. You really have to get up close and personal to see whats going on. I really like the look of the left brain with the atlas, but I am not quite satisfied with the paper on the right brain. I would rather use topografic maps on that side, but cant find any used ones.
If anyone has any old ones lying around taking up space, I would be more than happy to take them off of your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment